|Summary:||ASTERISK-21370: Call gets dropped transferring to external destination|
|Reporter:||mark roberts (sudo)||Labels:|
|Date Opened:||2013-04-01 16:30:20||Date Closed:||2013-04-01 18:15:45|
|Description:||Im not sure what happened but it seems that Im having issues with ALL my asterisk boxes transferring calls to external destinations.
This started a few weeks ago.
Looking at the pcap I see that all of these calls end with "481 call leg/transaction does not exist"
It seems like the calls drop after 60 seconds.
What changed in the asterisk/sip world that made all my asterisk boxes have issues transferring?
Whats the fix? I thought that a yum update would do the trick. Lets just say im glad I did it on a test box, because it broke the system.
Got errors like:
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.18-194.3.1.el5/weak-updates/tej21.ko needs unknown symbol dahdi_register_device
and once the uptate 'completed' I got these errors when starting asterisk:
Asterisk died with code 1.
Automatically restarting Asterisk.
Asterisk ended with exit status 1
My main priority is fixing the transfer issue. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
|Comments:||By: Rusty Newton (rnewton) 2013-04-01 18:15:15.785-0500|
Please read through https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Issue+Guidelines
Your described issue resulting in "481 call leg/transaction does not exist" messages doesn't constitute a bug report and is not appropriate for this issue tracker. Many cause codes can result from numerous different scenarios - often complex configuration problems or changes in the ISP, network, hardware or software anywhere in the stream of communication.
There is no fix for cause code itself, it's just a indicator of something happening behind the scenes. I'd recommend getting a packet capture and Asterisk log of the traffic where it occurs - put that in pastebin and then ask about it on the asterisk-users list. It could very well be the result of a bug, but we won't know that until you can post an explanation of what is happening to cause that message along with all the associated debug.
A blind update of everything may not be the best approach to solving the issue. Again I recommend troubleshooting the specific issue from a networking level first to see if SIP call flow is happening as expected.
For the "WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.18-194.3.1.el5/weak-updates/tej21.ko needs unknown symbol dahdi_register_device" type errors it sounds like you may need a newer version of DAHDI before you can update the other packages. The latest RPMs available for DAHDI are available here http://packages.digium.com/centos/6/current/
I'm going to close this issue since it is not a bug report, but rather a request for support. For continued support from the community you can post on the asterisk-users list http://lists.digium.com/mailman/listinfo/asterisk-users
If you are using a Digium card with the DAHDI drivers then you can of course call Digium technical support for free support on the driver issues with the card. http://www.digium.com/en/support/contact
If you track down exactly what is happening to cause that message and decide that it appears to be unexpected behavior for Asterisk then you may want to consider opening a new issue with everything mentioned on the Asterisk Issue Guidelines. Thanks!