|Summary:||ASTERISK-01394: [request] alaw codec for iaxy|
|Date Opened:||2004-04-11 05:57:22||Date Closed:||2011-06-07 14:05:02|
|Description:||Please please pleaes could you consider adding the alaw codec to the iaxy. |
A combination of Bug 1331 (audio gremlins when changing from ulaw to alaw) and the fact that all systems over here in the UK are native alaw and that we'd love to use the iaxy it'd be amazing if you considered adding this codec.
GSM or something high quality / low bandwidth would be amazing too, but I realise there's a lot of reasons why that probably won't or can't happen.
|Comments:||By: chrisorme (chrisorme) 2004-04-15 17:37:18|
ASTERISK-1323 may be specific to one provider.
alaw would be very nice, but good quality medium to low bandwidth apart from adpcm would be nicer. I don't know if the IAXY has a DSP though and therefore what the CPU could do.. GSM? probably not :(
Wonderful too would be the ability to 'iaxprov' or similar (with a password I think!) new settings to a Natted IAXY ie. to avoid a trip to customers premises to reconfigure an iaxy eg to give it an address of a new proxy or to change its codec. - C
By: Brian West (bkw918) 2004-04-16 19:14:16
I doubt alaw will fit unless he builds an iaxy .uk version .. it has 4k of room for all this mess.
By: chrisorme (chrisorme) 2004-04-17 07:51:50
Wow 4k. Sorry for my ignorance, there are definitely more important things for that 4k then ! Sorry. What a challenge !
We know we can sell a lot of iaxys for sure if Digium can get sufficient supply for the impending demand and are happy for us to sell these and which volume may justify consideration for the time spent on developing an alaw codec.
But it's fine if this can't be done or isn't economic.
Mulaw<->alaw doesn't have a big overhead, the timestamp/iax2 changes have pretty much fixed the clicks on codec conversion and there are I'm sure far more pressing things that I'm sure are being worked on I think -
I think the only final few things that worry us about the iaxy really are (and they are probably down to my ignorance for which I apologize, but I don't know how to obtain this information) :
1. echo cancellation that field testers reported (that Mark's looking at with someone already I think - which is amazing)
2. Can anyone who knows (or can guess via bruteforce/ ip scanning) the ip of an iaxy, when the iaxy isn't behind NAT run iaxyprov on it (potentially maliciously) as I don't know if a password can be set on an iaxy at present to prevent this ?
This is a possible hackers delight if this is true. I'm sure a password can be most probably set and I just don't know how to do it.
3. An ability to configure an iaxy remotely through NAT either through asterisk itself (similar to how the firmware is upgraded) or in getting iaxyprov to work through NAT. this again can probably be done via asterisk but again I probably just don't know how to do this. I see a boot up message that I think means the feature is probably already in asterisk but can't see how to use it yet. I know, I should read the C code shouldn't I, sorry I haven't done this yet. I'll try to. ?
4. possibly consideration for some codec equivalent in bandwidth and quality to GSM. I ask myself if adpcm qualify on this? I'm sure Digium are looking into or have already decided on codecs if it's possible and if they think it's a selling feature. Implementation of adpcm and the whole device seems to have improved anyway via firmware updates since I made this comment before about codecs.
5. Obtaining a 230V or 100-250V power supply that can deliver the required current (and voltage) that isn't a large proportion of the deployment cost if Digium aren't planning to supply one other than for 110.
I don't think any of these is a big issue really.
I know you're all really really busy but if anyone has the time to either post how any of these items are dealt with already here, or email me on how to do them that would be amazing as I really am sure, that along with everyone else that if the above things are considered, or have already been addressed but I just don't know how, that this product is a real winner for Digium.
By: Brian West (bkw918) 2004-04-17 22:49:06
I'm sure he could come up with a firmware version with alaw/adpcm :) But for now we will close this out and keep it in mind.